Wednesday 18 February 2015

Why we forget when we say we should never forget!

I can’t remember why I’m writing this blog…oh, ya, I started writing one in my old multiply site, which I thought then was the more civilized social network because multiply netizens did not need to know what food you were eating or what part of the metropolis you were stuck in traffic. But Multiply has not multiplied my readership so I had to find her a new home. I still maintain my multiply site for sentimental reasons (for which sentiment I cannot remember). Oh, I think I had a following for my political/historical blog; maybe around 10 people including myself. I can’t remember why I was writing a political/historical blog because I am no journalist, historian, analyst…oh, maybe because I had been researching for a script which I thought would be the “great Filipino film” . I was obsessed about martyred Benigno Aquino Jr. and the Martial Law years. Yes, I remember I had been researching for a good 10 years for a good lead, a story, a twist, any kind of epiphany…I finished a 230 page screenplay about Aquino’s incarceration, it won some literary award, I thought it was my ticket to directorial stardom, I spoke to many producers who all wanted to produce it, I made 2-hour pitches, they all gave me firm handshakes and lots of backslaps, then they never called back. So I was stuck with all this information, not only about Ninoy’s life but a lot about the Marcos era culled from countless interviews, periodicals, journals, hard to find books and a doctoral thesis by a retired general. It’s been a good decade since I finished my script and honestly, the thoughts of producing the film have been slipping into a fast fade out. I don’t remember why I was obsessed with pursuing the film…oh, ya maybe it had to do with something like finding meaning in the struggle against the dictatorship; that kinda shit. I can diss myself and my obsession but somehow I can’t take it from a twenty-something who will say that Marcos was probably the greatest president we ever had because he instilled discipline then ( more like fear brutha’) and he built many roads and bridges; that Cory didn’t do much during her presidency but play mah jong and prep Kris for her entry to showbiz. Neither does it sit well with me when some third generation Marcos crony tells everyone we should move on and stop blaming Marcos…and maybe it both confuses me and makes me want to puke when after 25 years, Mr. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. Ms. Imee Marcos and Madame Imelda Romualdez Marcos we again have to address as “honorable”. So let me bring my blog back to life as the Unholy Trinity has come back to life. Do I want to remember? I just don’t want to forget…
Let me thank in advance all those I interviewed (though some of them had passed away), authors I quoted, articles I used, and excuse myself from not footnoting or making the proper acknowledgments since a blog, methinks is still not accepted as a legit form of journalism and therefore is not bound by the traditional rules of form. So you have been quoted Mr. Mc Coy, Mr. Karnow, Ms. Burton, Mr. Ocampo, Mr. Quezon, Time Magazine, Manila Chronicle, Mr. Teddy Boy, Mr. Canoy, Mr. Soliven, Mr. Rama, Mr. Gazmin, Mr. Tatad, Mrs. Oreta, etc., etc...
From: http://indiosbravos.blog.com/
* I am a fan of above blog site which is now, most of the time, acting up on loading. Thus, I am reposting all contents of above blog for easier viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment